A gathering place for the UCM Community at SFU. Stuff we are thinking about, praying about,or excited about.
Saturday, December 08, 2007
I'm finished, how about you?
Leaha (my roommate) has been my muse as of late, maybe she’s tuned me into a frequency I’ve missed out on, or turned off of years ago.While I'm not a big Christian music person, I do like Shane and Shane, as they seem to prefer to write songs directly related to the Bible, and none of the the fluffy, feel good stuff. They have a new song about Radshach, Meshach, and Abednego. Now I know the first thing we think of is the Veggie Tales or the flannelgraph version of the story - which I think is a shame. No offense to the Veggie Tales, but I think we're old enough to stop getting the Bible through cartoon simplifications. While I was it all came into perfect clarity, combined with a sermon from Mark Driscoll I had listened to a while back and something my Yiddish Literature professor told us.I didn’t agree with Sheila when she insisted the entire Old Testament was false but it was purely didactical.The authenticity issue aside – it is didactical and as such relevant.Have we not been bowing to the golden idols of N. American culture (Mark Driscoll – believes we are in no position to be sending out missionaries considering our current state – I’m beginning to agree)? Do we not bow every time we hear the music of money, in some way or another?We can’t believe that every single person who bowed the day R, M, A wanted to but they were compliant…
Are we able and willing to stand? When, how and where do we stand – knowing the Church cannot and will not do this and say independently: “Burn us up, Burn us up, Burn us up, oh, king won't you burn us in the furnace your desire. We give up. We give up. We give up. Oh, king won't you burn us in the furnace your desire. Oh won't you throw us in the fire.” And in response to the world – we know “You are able to deliver from the fire of affliction! It's the declaration of my Lord! You're not an image of gold! You're the God of Old. You have made us. Come and save us. We are yours!But even if you don't we will burn.”
I've included to the video clip since I can't find just a plain audio clip on Imeem.
1 comment:
Good topic, but that was a pretty bad rap.
Post a Comment